Monday 6 October 2014

Meatless Monday - Breakfast Spread

This is an avocado-based recipe, and I'm going to spill the truth tea: I don't like avocado. I don't like the texture, it feels like oily flour. I don't like the taste, it tastes like green oily flour. So why am I blogging an avocado-based recipe? Because I really like this spread, I like it a lot.
I try to eat avocados, I hide them from myself in pasta sauces and mix them with cheese because they have a lot of good stuff in them and I should eat them. This recipe was my latest attempt to disguise the texture and taste and I believe it went well. The first batch of this spread I made did five slices of toast, but I think I could have made it go further.
You will need:
One avocado
Coconut oil
Ground cinnamon

Cut the avocado into little pieces and put them in a small bowl. Add to that one big heaped teaspoon of coconut oil, or two level teaspoons if it's hot and your coconut oil is runny.

Sprinkle with cinnamon. This is the yummy part and also very good for you, which you can read about here.

Give the whole thing a good mashing with a fork until it's smooth, creamy and spread-like.

Put the spread in an airtight container in the fridge overnight or at least for half an hour or so, which will cause the coconut oil to solidify and make the whole thing more... spready.

I've had this spread on toast with a fried egg on top and that was excellent, but obviously the spread itself is completely vegan. I think it would go quite nicely with some chopped hot tomato on top, too!

Happy Mashing!
Cassandra Louise.

2 comments:

  1. I might try this one, does it keep long or does the avocado go tangy? I actually did a similar recipe this week - a sweet treat with avocado, banana, cacao and honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it keeps like this for about three days, which can be pushed out to five by adding a few drops of lemon juice to the mix. :-)
      I must go check out your recipe!

      Delete